ABEL LEASH CEREMONIES
Ready to RSVP?
Jump straight to the RSVP form if you don't need the details!
About the ABEL Leash Ceremonies
Each ABEL facility hosts a ceremony at the close of each training period for guests of EENP and DPS to celebrate the incoming and outgoing dogs as well as the accomplishments of the training period. These ceremonies are held three times a year, approximately one month before EENP's public graduation ceremonies.
At each ceremony,
- for pups moving into training in ABEL, EENP community trainers pass their dogs' leashes to the ABEL trainers to mark their pups' transition into advanced training in ABEL;
- for pups graduating from training to be considered for placement with an EENP client, ABEL trainers pass their dogs' leashes to an EENP client or client representative;
- ABEL trainers give demonstrations of the training process and the dogs' skills, usually in the form of short skits;
- one ABEL trainer gives a speech about his experience in the program; and
- after the ceremony, guests can sit down with the ABEL trainers to talk and enjoy light food and drink provided by NC DPS
The leash ceremonies are a special opportunity for EENP's community to personally witness the professionalism and commitment of the ABEL trainers. The attendance of EENP's guests, most coming from over an hour away, is a truly invaluable show of support for the ABEL trainers and the work they do, and they often mention how much it means to them. We hope you can join us for a ceremony!
Ceremony Dates and Details
Note: the Warren and Caswell ceremonies are reversed this cycle!
Warren Correctional Institute (WCI)
- Tuesday, October 4, 2022 from 1-3 pm (arrive 11:30 am to 12:30 pm depending on training and blue care options)
- RSVP and record check form due by Tue 9/20 at noon.
- Unfortunately, minors are not able to attend ceremonies at Warren.
- Guests may only attend ONE leash ceremony in a calendar year at Warren without taking additional training ("blue card" or "PREA" training). That training is approximately 1 hour long and is usually offered before the May and September leash ceremonies for guests who wish to attend more than one ceremony at Warren in a calendar year. The RSVP form will help you determine if you need training or not in order to attend.
Caswell Correctional Center (CCC)
- Thursday, September 29, 2022 from 1-3 pm (arrival 12:00-12:30 pm)
- RSVP by Tue 9/27 at noon (no forms needed).
- Caswell is likely to limit attendance at the ceremony in which case we will close RSVPs earlier.
- Minors may be able to attend the ceremony at Caswell if accompanied by their parent or guardian.
- Currently, guests may attend all three leash ceremonies at Caswell each year without taking additional volunteer training from NC DPS. This policy may change at any time.